Who should be August’s Americas ‘Athlete of the Month’?05.09.2018
Athletes nominated in badminton, boccia, swimming and wheelchair basketball
Four athletes from four different sports have been shortlisted for August 2018's Americas ‘Athlete of the Month’ poll. The public are invited to vote for their winner via the Americas Paralympic Committee homepage until Wednesday (12 September).
Euclides Grisales, Colombia, boccia
Made history at the World Championships in Liverpool, Great Britain, by winning his country’s first medal; silver in the individual BC4.
Gustavo Villafane, Argentina, wheelchair basketball
Made it to the Hamburg 2018 men’s All-Star team after leading Argentina to the seventh place, their best at a World Championships.
Rebecca Meyers, USA, swimming
Set one world, two Pan American and four US records at the Pan Pacific Para Swimming Championships, finishing the meet with five gold medals.
Vitor Tavares, Brazil, badminton
Celebrated a triple crown in the SS 6 category on home soil at the Brazil Para Badminton International 2018.
The nominations are compiled from submissions by National Paralympic Committees (NPCs) from across the continent.
The 2018 Americas Athlete of the Month winners are:
• January – Fernando Fuentes, El Salvador, swimming
• February – Brenna Huckaby, USA, snowboard
• March – Cristian Ribera, Brazil, Nordic skiing
• April – Daniela Gimenez, Argentina, swimming
• May – Juan Carlos Garrido, Chile, powerlifting
• June – Francisca Mardones, Chile, athletics
• July – Claudia Romero, Mexico, taekwondo